Skip to main content

About this Show

The Five

News/Business. (2013) New.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING
TV-MA

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Nelson Mandela 11, Us 9, Dana 7, South Africa 6, United States 5, America 5, Washington 5, Obama 4, China 3, Juan 3, Eric 3, Idaho Potato 2, Detroit 2, Bob 2, City 2, Geico 2, Aig 2, Africa 2, D.c. 2, Manhattan 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Five    News/Business.  (2013) New.  

    December 6, 2013
    2:00 - 3:01pm PST  

2:00pm
hello, everyone, i'm kimberly guifoyle along with dana per ringy, eric bolling and greg gutfeld. it's 5:00 in new york city and this is "the five." a jam packed show tonight. president obama pushing redistribution. the brutal knockout game. and bob's annual christmas lights. it's all coming your way. first, nelson mandela will be laid to rest in south africa on december 15th. president and mrs. obama will be there to pay their respects. fox's ed henry just wrapped up
2:01pm
an interview with bill clinton be who shared his memories of the leader. >> he talked to me in that prison cell as we grabbed the bars and looked out together about what it was like. and i said tell me how this changed you. how did you give up 27 of the best years of your life and come out a better man than you went? he said, i realized they could take everything from me except my mind and my heart. those things i would have to give them. he decided not to give them away. he was free before he was released. >> tributes have been pouring in over the last 24 hours. >> we've lost one of the most influential courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with us on this earth. >> extremely sad and traj ek news. we're just reminded what an extraordinarily inspiring man
2:02pm
nelson mandela was and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family now. >> a new low, low, low, loss of pain. he accomplished the mission of using his mind, body and suffering to end the racial pooitical apartheid system. >> juan williams spent a lot of time with mandela after he was released from prison 1990 and he joins us tonight. juan, great to see you. you must have a lot of thoughts and reflections about this man. >> it was interesting to me. i think everyone will be fascinated. he was interested in us. the world grew inspiration from else nelson mandela. when i was with him, it was funny, almost like he was interviewing me about american politics and the civil rights movement. because in south africa, the majority of the population is black. he wanted to know, wait, how did a minority in the united states achieve civil rights? we ended up talking about, and
2:03pm
he's fascinating with the founding fathers. the idea that george washington gives up power one term. something mandela later does. but also citizenship. the whole idea that you have rights in the united states. remember, blacks in south africa had none of that. in a sense, we were inspiring too nelson mandela. >> i'm certain of that. was there anything when you sat down with him that really surpriseded you? i'm sure you prepared ahead of time and researched them and got to know the man through what you were able to read and hear from other personal anecdotes. what did you take away from it? >> i think the thing that surprised me the most is i was saying, you know, mr. mandela, you are a beacon to the world in terms of freedom, struggle, the sacrifice, the 27 years in jail, standing up for principle. he started laugh. he didn't laugh easily. i was taken aback. like maybe he's not understanding this american guy. he said no, it's just when he was growing up, all he wanted to do was rebel against his parents. he just wanted to get out of the
2:04pm
tribal situation. he was like a prince. and go to the big city of johannesburg. he wanted to box. he wanted to learn poetry. he wanted what he called a western-style education. i think that stays with me. especially in this holiday season, we forget what we have. a western-style education. this guy was willing to do anything for it. and rebel against his parents. what he wanted more than anything else. he didn't even see that he was going to become this worldwide legend. >> dana be an bob both have questions. we'll begin with dana. >> i'm curious about how it was that you were plucked out of the crowd, of all the joushallists that were there, how did it come to be that you were chosen, to get a chance to talk to him? i know you worked it a little bit. i would love to hear that story. the second question i have is what is the toughest question that he asked you in those interviews? >> you know, dana, i like the way you put it. i worked it. i did work it, my friend. because what happened was, everybody was being turned away. everybody wanted time with nelson mandela after he first
2:05pm
got out. here he is at his home. what happened was i had written a book about the american civil rights movement, "eyes on the prize." turns out, he read the book before it became a tv series or anything. and so he wanted to meet the author. they just put me in the line to shake hands. but i wouldn't let go of the guy, i said, please, i really want to talk to you, i'm from washington, the united states of america. they were kicking me out and he said, if you can write some thank you notes for me, you can stick around, i'll talk to you when i can. it wasn't like a direct interview, it was, hey, mr. mandela, or we sit down and have a meal and talk to him or he's meeting his grandkids, like that. >> what a great experience. you've had some personal experiences as well with nelson mandela on behalf of work you did with bishop desmond tutu. >> raising money for charity, in the united states, raised a lot of money for it. juan, i remember when you gave the commencement address to my son's school two years ago.
2:06pm
and you talked about mandela, and i have never seen a group of -- which were then 17-year-olds, 18-year-old, absolutely spellbound by what you were saying about mandela. they didn't know much about mandela. it was mandela's words. i'm just wondering whether we think this generation who never saw or heard much about nelson mandela will now, because of this week, we're going to get a lot of information about him, be inspired by his words. >> i think so bob, you know, because i think for ray lot of kids, even if you think about our history, dr. king, you know, for my kids, a lot of that is -- might as well be george washington and the cherry tree. it's just they think it's history. but they suddenly get the sense of what was apartheid. i think they don't have any clue. it's just like, you know, water fountains in this country, it was like, wait what was that, you guys are bringing up old history. now i think there might be some lessons here where they say, oh, so this is what nelson mandela stood up for, this is what it
2:07pm
means to be someone who account ans on principle and sacrifices for the greater good. and, again, i think that's such a tremendous lesson. like dana was asking me, what's the most difficult question that i got from mandela, and it was one about, you know, do you know who you are, where you're from. imagine, you know, someone saying to me. i said, what do you mean? he said, do you know where your people came from? do you know where you're from in africa? i don't know the answers. these are questions i think for everyone i think all americans, you know, we have roots around the world. but to say who are you, where are you from? it's just, it's kind of -- it shakes you. >> all right, greg. >> i have a question. but i want to talk about the lessons that i've learned from the south african controversy and the experience. it's about how taking sides ideologically often blinds you to the truth. the united states was against the anc, the african national congress, because they were communists, they were backed by
2:08pm
the ussr, and the united states being staunchly anti-communist, that's the right team, but they might have made the wrong choice. likewise, nelson mandela mail d the same exact mistake. he embraced countries like cuba, he misidentified them as comrades, when it should have been the people in the countries he identified with, because they were people under the thumb of gadhafi and under the thumb of khomeini and other nondemocratic countries. one thing you learned is how ideology at times can blind you to some very important facts. in the '80s, i was staunch anti-communist. i didn't pay attention to south africa. all i knew the anc was being backed by comb anytime munists learned that south africa was wrong. if you feel really strongly about this man, you can still act, because there's plenty of people around the world who are under the thumb of evil.
2:09pm
and there's a lot of celebrities who don't care. there are women still being circumcised in africa. it's a horrible practice. there are gays persecuted in iran. there are christians in islamic countries that are being persecuted. the time is ripe for a lot of new mandelas. >> i like that, greg, that might be my favorite comment you've made so far. >> just a quick thought. and i don't have as much knowledge on nelson mandela as the rest of you. i'll just say, a man would appears to have a lot of passion, a lot of resolve, a lot of principle, not necessarily agree with a lot of the things he stood for, so i'll say rest in peace. i think it's a nice outreach. president and mrs. obama reached out to the bushes, 43, and they will be joining, the bushes will be joining the president on air force one to go to the memorial services next week. interesting. nice way to bring some unity. >> appropriate respect and tribute. bob, quick question? >> i have a quick response to
2:10pm
greg. i mean, look, it is true he embraced these people. they were the few people willing to embrace him. the united states held up sanctions. reagan continued to -- >> that's my point though. >> reagan had to be overridden by the congress in order to get those sanctions. >> that was my point though. >> i understand. i appreciate that. juan, one fast point, did the clerk who also won the nobel peace prize with mandela, did an awful lot to help mandela pave the way. the white africana. do you think that's a fair statement? >> i do. remember, they have a unity government. mandela is the first elected president of multiracial south africa. he makes the clerk his deputy president so there's a clear sign to the country, this is about reconciliation, moving forward. this is not about recriminations and bitterness. that's the inspiring part. inagree with you, bob. some of those countries,
2:11pm
communists or whatever, were the few countries willing to support a nelson mandela. you know what is the key, afterwards, he says no to violence and no to those communists. >> juan, we want to thank you. our fellow co-host of "the five" for being with us tonight and sharing those reflections. coming up, mr. bob beckle was down at his house in d.c. last weekend putting u.n. h int christmas lights. we're not sure how hard he actually worked. don't miss the annual light show. bob's just talking away. he's very excited. we've got a special package for you and it's coming up.
2:12pm
huma. even when weross our t's and dot our i's, we still run io problems. namely, other humans. which is why, at liberty mutual insurance, auto policies come with new car replacement and accident forgiveness if you qualify. see what else comes standard at libertymutual.com. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? and our giant idaho potato truck is still missing. so my dog and i we're going to go find it. it's out there somewhere spreading the good word about idaho potatoes and raising money for meals on wheels. but we'd really like our truck back, so if you see it, let us know, would you? thanks. what?
2:13pm
2:14pm
2:15pm
♪ always believe in your soul ♪ you've got the power to know welcome back to "the five." i don't know what shawn was thinking. president obama claims income inequality threatens the
2:16pm
american dream. >> there's a dangerous and growing inequality and lack of upward mobility that has jeopardized middle class america's basic bargain. that if you work hard, you have a chance to get ahead. i believe this is the defining challenge of our time. making sure our economy works for every working american. that's why i ran for president. it was the center of last year's campaign. it drives everything i do in this office. >> so, how has the economy done since he's been in office? the top 1% incomes are up 31.4%. the bottom 99% grew only 4% between 2009 and 2012 it the top 1% earned 19.3 of all household income. in 2012, their largest share since 1977. we will have a raucous debate between bob and eric. i can feel it coming.
2:17pm
>> and you now with that lead of yours. >> what is wrong with the top of that lead? >> that was a bunch of crap. because rich people got their tax breaks. until they finally got them put back in. when obama inherited the office, rich people were getting big tax breaks. >> you mean the tax breaks that b obama kept? >> yes. >> now they're not is what you're saying? >> yes, they took the tax breaks away. >> how do you explain the top 1% is outpassing by seven times what the lower 99 are making? >> here's exactly what obama -- >> believe it or not, president obama has actually widened the income gap but in a good way, bob, in a good way, because the 1% is going up, 34%, 99%, 4%, but they're going up, so that's a good thing. incoming equality is a misnomer. if the rising tide is rising all boat, raising all boats, that's a great thing. >> how can you say 15 years the
2:18pm
top 1% increase of income take home pay is 247% and middle clashgs over the same 15 years, is 15%? you're saying that's equal? >> he's saying the numbers are rising up and that's good. >> it's better for everyone when this happens. >> when the rich people get richer? >> and the poor people get richer, yes. >> before you continue, let me get greg in here first. because you earlier were talking -- >> this argument about wealth or income inequality is bogus. because it's not about class. it's not about income. it's about age. the population is getting older. 65-year-old has 15 times the wealth as somebody under 35. how does that happen? because as you get older, you make more money. i am 49. i make a lot more money than i did when i was 19. that is how it works. that's why at 19 you work at mcdonald's and then you work at fox news. it's quite a leap, i give you that, but the fact is, he is -- president obama is telling a big
2:19pm
fib. saying that somehow this is the republican's fault. it's the inevitability of an aging population. >> let's take a listen to this. you have more? go ahead. >> yes. no, i want to point out -- never mind. i'm so -- this -- it's age, it's only age. >> it's a good point, it's a good point. >> all right, then we shouldn't even be talking about this. >> oh, my god. >> let's listen to president obama on that. please. >> yes. >> i actually think there are a bunch of republicans who want to get stuff done. they've got to be embarrassed because the truth of the matter is, is that they've now been in charge of the house of representatives, one branch of -- or one chamber in one branch of government for a couple years now and they just don't have a lot to show. >> i think that's hilarious. >> that's related to income inequality. >> no, bob, it's about republicans. >> that's what i mean. >> about republicans, yes, bob, obviously, he said republicans
2:20pm
should be embarrassed. the thing i find curious about that, of course the republicans only control one branch of -- one house of the congress, so they can't -- >> how much can they accomplish? >> if you can't agree to pass anything, it's just simple math. when he says there's no accomplishment. if the president says he'll veto everything, then what is he talking about -- >> show me the great things they passed, in just the house, forget the senate. >> fighting obama every step of the way. >> that's what they're there for. >> they were right on everything. >> it goes down to what mitch mcconnell said, it is the republican party's whole ideal is to beat obama or level him. >> they go to that talking point as if it's their saving grace. when the facts are pointed out to them, it doesn't hold up. kimberly, i want you to listen to one more thing from president obama, which he apparently thinks it's just the media that comes up with divisive rhetoric, not him. >> the american people are good and they are decent. yes, sometimes we get very
2:21pm
divided. partly because our politics and our media specifically tries to divide them. and splitter them. >> he's been the great uniter, right? >> who did he really mean when he was talking about the media? blame fox news. blame it on the rain. whatever. i mean, quit making excuses. the bottom line is, he's had the most control in terms of partisan politics and he's had the ability to put stuff through. what has he done with it? >> bob, how can you deny that? bob, seriously -- >> how is it -- >> no, it's not, bob, it's accurate -- >> -- the tea party, the house, who are a bunch of people who don't want to do anything -- >> and they were right on obama care -- >> and they were right on obama care and -- >> too bad -- >> we mentioned in our segment here -- did we mention that unemployment is below 7%, that the quarterly growth is up 3.6%? >> so happy you brought that up. yes, 7%. you're 100% right.
2:22pm
the lowest in the ten years. >> yeah. >> do you know why it's 7%? >> no, tell me why. >> because 11 million people now since the day president obama raised his right hand and said i take the oath of office, 11 million americans have left the workforce and said i give up, i can't get a job. it's probably somewhere around 10% unemployment -- >> where do you get 11 million people -- >> that's the numbers that were released today, bob. >> bureau of labor statistics. 91 million people, more than any other time in history. >> it's the lowest participation rate in 30 years. >> some of the jobs they got back were furloughed government workers. the other thing, you have obama condemning inequality after running the country for five years. that's like a citizen complaining of graffiti as he holds a can of spray paint. >> wait a minute -- >> that's what i don't understand -- >> -- 20,000 jobs, construction added about 30,000 jobs -- >> this month, this month, bob, under president obama, and these
2:23pm
are also at the bls.gov, go right there. 75% of all the jobs president obama's created, he's created 1.5 million job, 75% of those, part time. >> you keep saying he created those jobs. i keep saying his job creation started when he issued the stimulus -- >> the obama recovery -- >> the fact is, we're -- >> they even admit that. >> from the bush administration? >> what has he been able to accomplish while he's in office? >> saved us from a depression. >> they've actually had -- the government statistic, bear that out -- >> they kept us from a depression. >> you know where the real wealth gap is, it's in d.c. that wealth gap is so large, michael moore could waddle through it. >> interesting thing the administration can take credit for the stock market but they don't want to take the blame for
2:24pm
the income inequality he espouses. how is that, bob? >> income inequality has been growing for 20 years in this country. >> that was eric's point -- >> no, what, it's been growing for a long time. it's not any one president's fault -- the fact of the matter is, yes, it's gotten -- >> hyperventilating -- >> -- do you realize how ridiculous -- >> -- how much do you want from the -- >> you either get 500% -- >> -- your problem, you're so worried about the 1%, you're not worried about the 99% who are doing better over the last four years. >> inequality is -- inequality is -- >> 40% versus -- >> -- i'm very familiar with income inequality. the problem is liberals who are so mad at the 1% will not take the win with the 99% doing better. >> we could do this all night but i really need oxygen, i can't breathe. >> dana, can i just compliment president obama? he has done something no other republican has done in six years. helped elect a republican
2:25pm
president. >> hooray. hoo-ra. >> the chances of that happening are about as -- >> i don't know, man, i'm beginning to change -- >> the next topic, rand paul thinks he can save the bankruptcy city of detroit with good old-fashioned conservative economics. eric spoke with him exclusively today. we're going to hear part of that interview next. this song came to me this morning and i haven't been able to get it out of my head. now from my head to yours. ♪ if you only hold me tight ♪ we'll be holding on forever i've saved $75 in checked bag fees. [ delavane ] priority boarding is really important to us. you can just get on the plane and relax. [ julian ] havg a card that doesn't charge you foreign transaction fees saves me a ton of money. [ delavane ] we can go to any country and spend money the way we would in the u.s. when i spend money on this card, can see brazil in my future. [ anthony ] i use the explorer card to earn miles in order to go vis my family, which means lot to me. ♪ in order to go vis my family, which means lot to me. on the table by not choosing the right medicare d plan.
2:26pm
no one could have left this much money here. whoo-hoo-hoo! yet many seniors whoompare medicare d plans realize they can save hundreds of dollars. cvs/pharmacy wants to help you save on medicare expenses. talk to your cvs pacis call, or go to cvs.com/compare to get your free, personalized planomparison today. call, go online, or visit your local store today.
2:27pm
2:28pm
2:29pm
♪ welcome back, everybody. senator rand paul brought his conservative message of economic opportunity to the largest city in american history to declare bankruptcy, detroit. this afternoon, the senator unveiled his plan declaring detroit an economic freedom zone which includes a flat and low tax, a scaled back epa and
2:30pm
outreach to the african-american community. i sat down with the senator and asked him if politicians on both sides of the aisle were doing enough. >> five years of obama economic policies have led to very high elevated unemployment in the black community. frankly, the republicans are perceiveld as not really caring about minorities. what's your plan? >> i think we're going to compete -- the republican party as far as i'm concerned should compete for every voter in every city in every state. i think we do that by bringing our message to the people. this is a message of economic empowerment. it's also a message of school choice. if you want to get ahead in our country, it's through education and so many people in our big cities, often minorities, are being short changed by a bad school system. we want to make it better through competition. by giving every kid the choice. >> so, k.g., one of his plans
2:31pm
was a flat tax, 5% for corporations, 5% for income and no capital gains, et cetera. he's looking at a low income tax area. >> this is such a great idea. because it's a perfect application. perfect test case to see how this can work. to show the country these are economic principles that can be applied uniformly to create jobs, economic prosperity, help bring everybody up, bob. you have to be karcourageous. to convey these ideas. i think this would be a really good opportunity -- >> good point, it's already bankrupt, right? >> what do you have to lose? at least he's coming up with something. you can't write off american cities. >> first, i want to give paul credit for a couple of things. he went to howard university and spoke to black students when no republican was willing to go and do that. i think that took a lot of courage. >> and well received. >> the fact he's doing this. look, these are the kinds of ideas, whether i agree with them or not, i like the flat tax
2:32pm
idea, makes a lot of sense, he didn't mention here that he is going to allow immigrants to come in. i better be careful here. >> no, relax. >> keep going, bob. >> it's going so well before. >> stand down, bob beckle. >> by the way, i want to congratulate you on getting this on your show. i was on your show last week. you got the top rated show -- >> the number one show in all -- >> so we'll see how i do against paul. >> beckle can light a fire in a crowded room and make things happen. his plan is not only economic, it's also education, it's also regulation. it's socioeconomics. >> i love that he goes, he talks about it. on the epa stuff, i would just say from a messaging standpoint, very careful, if you say you're going to reduce epa. moms here, dirty air, dirty water, kids aren't protected. so careful with that. i think kentucky's got a lot of problems, probably could use his attention right now. i think he's setting himself up
2:33pm
for possibly bigger office in the future. and that this is something that is bold and courageous. >> and exactly right, dana's right -- >> it's a platform -- >> one of the first outreaches by the gop to the african-american community. >> detroit has to be interested in having problem solvers. because they haven't been interested in solving these problems for decades. if tax breaks and easing regulation help revitalize a city, what does that tell you? that tax increases and increased regulation strangle a city. and makes it impossible for it to grow. the scary thing about detroit is we keep talking about ii being rock bottom. i think it's rock bottomless. as long as there's something to squeeze out of that city for your own corrupt needs, you're going to do it. the democrats have had their shot. it's time to get out and let the republicans have a shot. >> to say all democrats there -- were not core rupt -- >> they're all in jail, bob. >> if this works, i pray it does
2:34pm
work, i'd be willing to say, you're right, low taxes and low regulations help. i'll be the first one to come out and say it. it would be a good idea for democrats to come back and not criticize this right away. what other choice is there? >> it's the obama care. >> the free trade zone in texas -- ross perot -- >> there are a bunch of other cities, in fact, the state, the whole state of illinois is probably in worst shape than the city of detroit. >> i think this is a great platform. it does show he has higher aspirations. i like a man of ideas, vision, purpose. like dana says, you have to be bold and have fresh ideas like this to be able to attract attention and generate interest. >> we got to go. be sure to catch the rest of my exclusive interview with senator rand paul tomorrow on "cashing in." the knockout games happening partly because african-americans are frustrated with jewish people? and later, the charity scandal.
2:35pm
she's taking some flak for an auction she held after the deadline typhoon in the philippines. directly ahead on "the giv." ♪ don't you know don't you know ♪ [ male announcer ] here's a question for you:
2:36pm
if every u.s. home replaced one light bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb, the energy saved could light how many homes? 1 million? 2 million? 3 million? the answer is. 3 million homes. by 2030, investments in energy efficiency
2:37pm
could help americans save $300 billion each year. take the energy quiz. energy lives here.
2:38pm
2:39pm
♪ strange days ♪ my my welcome to another episode of on tuesday, a letter posted linking black violence to black resentment over their jewish neighbors. she writes, many african-american caribbean residents expressed a genuine concern. she adds, i respect and appreciate the jewish communities family values and unity. i personally regard this level of tenacity, i also recognize for others these accomplishments trigger feelings of resentment.
2:40pm
so success of one group leads to resentment in others, then violence. it's happened before. ask a jew. i credit her honesty, however. calling this concern genuine may not help. resentment towards success will also exist. in america, we destroy such envy through opportunity. instead of hurting someone for doing good, you do better. the problem is, we live in a time that being mos such thinking. from schools to tv to music, we're told success by others comes at a cost to you. this envy can be resichted with strong families and communities which she complimented the jews for. what her citizens resent is actually what prevents resentment. she probably can't come out and say do what the jews do. because unlike blaming the jews, that would be racist. i read the whole letter, so did
2:41pm
you. she's very sincere. it's a thoughtful letter. she condemns the violence. she preaches zero tolerance against these knockout things or whatever you want to call it. this proliferation of violence. she's not annapologist. but there is that level of kind of, like, it may not be your -- entirely the community's fault. >> one of the things that bothered me about this, and has for some time, i've had this discussion with jesse jackson many times, it was the jewish community that funded most of the civil rights movement. it was the jews that understood the plight of people if chains and they were willing to put their money behind it and their bodies behind it. when the jews came in a lot of neighborhoods and they bought the corner store and made the corner store viable. i remember talking to jackson. we had a loud conversation. he said, look, they own the corner store. then the koreans come in. i said, why doesn't a black person buy the corner store right? the idea of trying to say it's because the jews have been successful. because the jews helped -- identified with blacks.
2:42pm
those are the two groups i always looked at together and now to hear this, again, it's been resonating for several years, is sad. >> k.g., i think she meant well. maybe she was trying to head off a bigger problem within her community that it might get worse and she was trying to stop it and maybe she made some mistakes. >> i think if she was probably in her own mind well intentioned, but she was inartful in the way that she expressed it. i think the larger picture is really to focus on ending the violence and working with the police and community policing to create awareness, not foster any kind of hostility. i think unfortunately what she did kind of backfired. given the benefit of the doubt. but that's not really going to help the situation. you have to understand that neighborhoods are always evolving and changing and that's what happens. you're not going to be able to stop it, but don't try to pit one group against the other. >> eric, what if she's right what if it's resentment? you can't put a ceiling on achievement but at least she has the guts to say it maybe?
2:43pm
>> i guess, but saying does it condone it, does it give the implication it's okay because there's a reason for the resentment? which, by the way, there is a resentment. the communities, the -- let's call it what it is, the jewish community and the black community for some reason has major redidnsentment for each o. it seems petty to say because they put a corner store up and it's viable that they should be resented for it, the jews. i don't know. it may go deeper than that. i have no idea though. >> didn't she say something about not succumbing to american culture? >> i could read this both ways. but this is what stood out to me that i don't like. she said, i am particularly inspired by the fact that the jewish community has not assimilated to the dominant american culture. what's that code for? that's basically, what, all of us? like what's so wrong with american culture? >> nobody wants to assimilate to might culture. >> the great thing about the dominate american culture is
2:44pm
it's a mixing pot of all kinds of -- >> bob is a mixing pot. >> in a bowl. >> they're yelling at me. coming up, the moment you've all been waiting for, bob's annual light show outside washington, d.c. he's got his home all ready. one last time. it sounds so grim. one last time. for santa claus to come to bob's town. >> here we go. help the local economy. buy more lights. all from china. another christmas. a lot more money. >> the beckle christmas spectacular is next. ♪
2:45pm
you know, ronny... folks who save hundreds of dollars by switching to geico sure are happy. and how happy are they jimmy? i'd say happier than a bodybuilder directing traffic. he does look happy. get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. . . [ male announcer ] no matter what city you're playing tomorrow. [ coughs ] ♪ [ male announcer ] you can't let a cold keep you up tonight. vicks nyquil -- powerful nighttime 6-symptom cold & flu relief.
2:46pm
2:47pm
2:48pm
everybody ready? 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. >> all right, that was the first family lighting the national christmas tree just moments ago. many of you know christmas is my favorite time of year. i've been putting lights up around the d.c. area and the homes i've owned there for 20 years now.
2:49pm
this will be my last time in the d.c. area doing a house. i'm going to be here in manhattan decorating my apartment. it was bittersweet. our cameras were there to capture it. ♪ another day, another christmas, all righty. you now, i tell you, i've been doing this for twentysome years now. i don't suppose i'll miss all the work that goes into it, but i know the kids will miss it and that makes me feel a little bad but it is a little i bought enough christmas tree lights to wire manhattan. they make these things so that they can be absolutely sure that by the time you get to the next christmas season, they're all broken. every year, i got to go to the store. why would they build anything that lasts? hell, if they did that, they
2:50pm
wouldn't be able to sell everything every year. here we go. help here we go. help the local economy, buy more lights. all from china. another christmas. a lot more money. ♪ >> it's about time. it's my young son, the helper. ♪ this is what it's all about.
2:51pm
this display is for all the kids in brookmont, which is my neighborhood. from the big kid two lives here. how are you? >> good. >> what do you think? do you like it? pretty twinkly. we have reindeer. >> great job. and look way up on the roof, waving. ♪ o, come, all ye faithful >> well, here we go. this is the end product of a lot of work and we have to see if this thing will come on. this is the last one we're going to do here in brookmont. in fact, the last one i'm going to do at a house. we're going to try this. three, two, one -- ♪ hallelujah
2:52pm
>> woe, it worked! by golly, another year, another house. the last time. ♪ hallelujah >> thanks to our producers. >> that's great. great job. >> that was the best one. >> hold on. we have a present for you. expensive, right, all the electricity? >> you notice my neighbor next to me? talking about jewish people. they're jewish, so they leave for december and i plug into their outlets. >> oh, my gosh. you just blew up the segment. >> i enjoyed it and i will miss -- >> do the neighbors like you, bob? >> no. because once that thing lights,
2:53pm
everybody starts driving down from out of the neighborhood and they can't park their cars. >> there you go. all right, one more thing is up next.
2:54pm
we're aig. and we're here. to help secure retirements and protect financial futures. to help communities recover and rebuild. for companies going from garage to global. on the ground, in the air, even into space. we repaid every dollar america lent us. and gave america back a profit. we're here to keep our promises. to help you reize a better tomorrow. from the families of aig, happy holidays. on the table by not choosing the rit medicare d plan. no one could hav left this much money here. whoo-hoo-hoo! yet many seniors whoompare medicare d plans realize they can save hundreds of dollars. cvs/pharmacy wants to help you save on medicare expenses. talk to your cvs prmacist, ll, or go to cvs.com/compare to get your free, personalized pl comparison today. call, go online, or visit your local store today.
2:55pm
and our giant idaho potato truck is still missing. so my dog and i we're going to go find it. it's out there somewhere spreading the good word about idaho potatoes and raising money for meals on wheels. but we'd really like our truck back, so if you see it, let us know, would you? thanks. what? i see a world bursting with ideas, with ambition. i'm thinking about china, brazil, india. the world's a big place. i want to be a part of it. ishares international etfs. emerging markets and accesingle countries.arkets, find out why nine out of ten large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal.
2:56pm
medicare open enrollment. of year again. time to compare plans and costs. you don't have to make changes. buit never hurts to see if u can find bettoverage, save money, or both. and check out the preventive benefits you get after the health care la open enrollment ends december 7th. so now's the time. visit medicare.gov or call 1-800-medicare it's time now for "one more
2:57pm
thing." >> all right. the u.s. air force band, they surprised union goers in washington, d.c. this is great. they just started -- they wanted to promote their 29 holiday shows. so i think that we have a slot here in just a second that we're going to toss to. take a look at this. ♪ the expressions on the museumgoer's faces were great. >> yesterday was the last day of happ hanukkah. i was just putting the menorah away. >> you have so many jobs at fox news.
2:58pm
>> my one more thing, this is a huge ncaa college weekend championship week. check out these games. number one florida state versus duke, number 20. this one, number two, osu against michigan state. look for osu. and the big one, i think this is going to be the best game of the weekend, auburn against ohio tigers. both tigers. >> you need my predictions on that? >> shep is on the news deck. greg? >> a not cool cousy. buy my book. a couple days ago, i banned close proximity and replace it with nearby. turns out nearby is close proximity. instead of using nearby, use near or by, or close.
2:59pm
>> you've become that guy that's selling cousies on your website? you should ban yourself. bob? you know how much wound up going to the victims? 10% and she made a profit on it. you're worth $40 million, why not give it all to them? thank you. >> she's got enough money, right. so this is celebrity revenge, justice. gwyneth paltrow went on a campaign e-mailing all her friends to boycott "vanity fair" because they were going to write an unflattering piece about her. now they have turned soft and it's a nice little cuff piece.
3:00pm
>> it would never, ever happen to a republican. >> sure, it would. >> now, don't forget to set your dvr so you never, ever, ever miss an episode of "the five." have a great weekend. "special report" is next. this time the president singling out government bureaucracy. that and much more on this "special report." good evening. i'm bret baier. earlier, president obama urged graduates to reject those voices warning government was the root of all problems. given that, it might come as a surprise that government is not a savior but not his latest scapegoat, because his signature legislation is not yet working. ed henry has our lead story tonight.